Purchasing Hair Extensions
Looking for the perfect hair extensions? The process can seem overwhelming especially if you are new to them. Not to worry! I will guide through the entire process to ensure that the extensions are the right fit for you. My aim is to set straight some of the stories surrounding hair extensions, giving you the right information to make an informed decision.
Hair extensions are available in different colors, various lengths and a number of textures such as Remy, non-Remy, Indian, Russian and Virgin.
Remy Hair Extensions
Remy means the cuticle of the hair is still intact and the hairs’ cuticles are aligned in the same direction from root to tip. This gives the hair manageability while avoiding knotting and matting. In other words, this hair never bunches up together. Remy hair is considered to be great quality; however, these hair extensions can vary considerably due to its life span and handling.
Non-Remy Hair Extensions
Non-Remy is a lower grade of hair extensions because the cuticle is stripped due to being soaked in acid. These hair extensions are mass-produced at a lower price point. Because the cuticle has been removed, this hair is dull, brittle and dry. The manufactures disguise this texture by coating the extensions in silicone to give them a glossy, soft finish. However, its true, damaged texture is evident after washing the extensions a couple of times which removes the silicone coating. I will be there to determine if the extensions are Remy or non-Remy, saving you time and money.
Indian Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are a substantial financial commitment, but they have elegant results. The decision to get hair extensions represents a substantial financial commitment. I will work with you until you are happy and satisfied visually and financially. The cost for extensions depends on how many extensions, what type of hair and method, etc. However affordability is becoming more reasonable. Pricing is usually based on several factors. Volume is based on each client’s personal requirements, desired hairstyle, A full head of hair and short to long application usually requires between 150 to 200 extensions.
Adding hair extensions for length can be pricey so make sure you know the length you want, what type of hair and the how you want it applied.
Hair Extension Maintenance
To maintain your striking new look home care is essential. Following simple guidelines will ensure long lasting beauty and a natural look and feel, between salon visits. After the extensions have been attached it is important to follow up with a maintenance consultation. Your extension specialist will professionally advise you on special maintenance instructions. Use only products recommended by your extension specialist. When caring for your new look, gentleness is key. It is important not to excessively scrub your hair. Avoid tangles by drying your hair thoroughly before going to bed and comb with a wide tooth comb or pick, gently from ends to the scalp. Never color, perm or use any other types of chemicals without consulting with your professional salon hair extension specialist to prevent damage to your extensions. As extensions are real human hair, use common sense when caring for them as you would your natural hair like immediately washing out chlorine water and following up with a good conditioner. Taking special care of your new hair will ensure longevity and beauty.
Directions on how to maintain your extensions and what To Do and What NOT to DO!
- Do not wash your hair until 48 hours after the extensions have been installed.
- Brush dry the hair out completely with an extension brush before entering the shower and before bedtime. It prevents extension matting and tangling, and spreads nourishing oil throughout the extensions.
- Wash every 2 days or less and do not wash your hair upside down. Do not scrub hair aggressively. Do not get shampoo or conditioner on the bonds.
- Use good quality hair shampoo and conditioner. Stay away from ones that contain sulfur and alcohol as it breaks down the bond faster than desired.
- Use a thermal heat protectant solution when styling hair. Do not flat iron or apply excessive heat to the bond itself. Remember that it was installed with heat!
- At bedtime, braid hair into two side braids or in a high ponytail to prevent tangling and matting at the root area. Use a satin pillow to also prevent tangling.
- Avoid salt water and chlorine water. Wear a swim cap.
- If you follow these aftercare instructions, your hair extensions will remain beautiful and natural!
- Never fall sleep on wet hair extensions. Make sure the hair and bonds are dry before bedtime to avoid matting.